It’s 100 years since Pope Benedict XV’s encyclical Maximum Illud called Catholics to bring the Good News to all peoples (Missio Ad Gentes). To commemorate its anniversary, Pope Francis has declared October 2019 to be an Extraordinary Month of Mission (EMM2019). This special month of prayer and action calls us all to renew our missionary commitment by sharing the Good News of Jesus with all people!
The Four Focus Areas & Aims The Holy Father has announced four focus areas:
1. A personal encounter with Jesus Christ living in his Church: in the Eucharist, in the Word of God, and in personal and communal prayer.
2. Testimony: missionary saints, martyrs, and confessors of the faith as an expression of the Church scattered throughout the world.
3. Missionary formation: biblical, catechetical, spiritual, and theological.
4. Missionary charity.
Therefore EMM2019 Aims...
1. To encourage Catholics into a deeper relationship with Jesus through prayer.
2. To look to, and learn from, the actions and sacrifices made by our saints, martyrs and living missionaries.
3. To rediscover and renew our understanding of overseas mission (ad gentes).
4. To financially support overseas mission.
PRAYER FOR EXTRA-ORDINARY MONTH OF MISSION:
Heavenly Father, when your only begotten Son Jesus Christ rose from the dead, He commissioned His followers to ‘go and make disciples of all nations’ and you remind us that through our Baptism we are made sharers in the mission of the Church. Empower us by the gifts of the Holy Spirit to be courageous and zealous in bearing witness to the Gospel, so that the mission entrusted to the Church, which is still very far from completion, may find new and efficacious expressions that bring life and light to the world. Help us make it possible for all peoples to experience the saving love and mercy of Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, One God, forever and ever. Amen.